Tuesday, May 16, 2006

volcano eruption !??

Indonesian Volcano Eruption

Okay, so Mount Merapi volcano hasn't erupted quite yet, not severely, but it is sprewing ash and debris, and boy is it pretty looking! I'm a sucker for fiery things... the people living in the areas surrounding it have been ordered to evacuate. There has been steady lava flow from the giant, which scientists have been carefully observing.

So many people could die if they don't heed the warnings to get out of the area, it's really very sad and almost frightening. Fortunately I live near no volcanos... so there are no worries for me. Scary thing is, the beast has been inactive for years. Just like normal though it has come back to life with the volcanic tremors to go along with it. Fun stuff, ain't it?

It last erupted twelve years ago killing only sixty people, unlike the over 1000 when it erupted in 1930. I'm glad I don't live there... Mount Merapi is also one of the volcanos in the Ring of Fire, and is one of almost one hundred thirty active volcanos in Indonesia alone. Over a hundred volcanos. Scaryness... I'm glad there are ways we can prevent as many fatalities. Science is definately a big help... :) Yay for volcanologists! I used to want to be one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home